There are a lot of people making money with YouTube you can see how it is so attractive, lots of potential viewers and best of all it’s 100% FREE, well almost. If you want to get fancy you can buy all kinds of software from making cool graphics to automation tools. But most people I think just keep it simple and make stuff that people want to see.
There are some interesting facts about YouTube though that a few people know. Let me go through some of them.
- All three founders (Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim) of YouTube were working for PayPal when they started YouTube.
- YouTube domain was registered on Valentines Day (February 14, 2005).
- 70% of YouTube’s registered users are from USA and half of YouTube users are under 20 years old.
- If YouTube was Hollywood, they have enough material to release 60,000 new films every week.
- More videos were uploaded on YouTube in last two months than if NBC, ABC, CBS had be airing new content 24/7/365 since 1948 (Since ABC started broadcasting).
- The total amount of bandwidth used by YouTube is about the same as used by entire internet in 2000.
- One needs over 1000 years of time to watch all videos on YouTube (but there will be billion of more videos uploaded on YouTube by then).
- Most popular category for uploaded videos is ‘Music’ having around 20% YouTube videos.
- United States users upload most of YouTube videos followed by UK and USA users also watch most YouTube videos followed by Japan.
- The first ever video that was uploaded on YouTube is by Jawed Karim (one of YouTube founders) titled “Me at zoo” on April 23rd, 2005 which is 18 seconds long.
So how are people making money with YouTube then?
Most people are just using YouTube as a kind of blog platform where they regularly post video’s with good content for there subscribers to ‘absorb’ and if you have enough (3000+) subscribers/ views Google will contact you and ask if they can put AdSense on your video’s. They have pretty strict guidelines though 1 of them being the content of your video must be 100% original or you must have proof of permission to use ‘borrowed’ content.
I remember when I was first starting out making money online I watched a funny video on my friends Facebook page and decided I would ‘scrape it’ (use screen capture to copy it) and put some music on there instead of the original talking. Well, within a WEEK it had over 10,000 hits, 10,000!!! I couldn’t believe my eyes!
So of course Google contacted me by email and asked if they could put ads on there (drunk man vs small hill) but because it wasn’t my original content I had to say NO!:o( Which brings us neatly on to another way people use YouTube to make money online, that not a lot of people seem to know about.
The description box! Every video has one but most people don’t use it to it’s full potential. All you need to do is put your website address, blog address or even affiliate offer in there with a brief description about it & BAM! FREE TRAFFIC!! You can also make sure people know about it by adding an annotation or two just to let them know you have an offer bellow the video that they may like, but try to be a little discreet about it. If they enjoy your video they will click through. buy youtube likes